6 October 2013
- Fairy Tale Twist
Starling is a 2D rendering framework built on Stage3D. Stage3D is GPU accelerated rendering (except when it’s not).
- On fast machines Starling accounts for 50% of a frame
- On our min-spec machine Starling accounts for 90+% of a frame
- The rest of the game (our code) runs in 10%
- All optimizations thus far have been incremental, did not impact Starling significantly
- Our min-spec machine is limited by the number of pixels is can draw.
- Starling requires all pixels are draw, all of the time.
- Adobe without Stage3D uses dirty rectangles to only draw pixels that change
- Removed Starling and replaced with Adobe Display Objects
- Min-spec machine went from 12fps to 60fps.
- Fast machines went from ~40fps to 60+fps.