Professional experienced architect and 23 year veteran with a proven record of building teams and products, taking them from concept to shipping, providing quick results and mindful of changes in priority and business needs.
Consultant Anki • 10/2016 – current
Principal Software Engineer Zynga • 7/2016 – 9/2016
- Contracted to provide a channel based VoIP service that uses 3D Sound for use in a Virtual Reality project.
Software Architect Blue Crystal Labs • 2015 – current
- Joined a handful of former Microsoft colleagues in a small start up to build the best in class casino and casual games for the next generation casino audience on all devices, on all platforms.
- Owned performance and compatibility, making the client run at 60fps on iPhone 3GS and 30 fps on first generation Kindle Fire and Android 2.3, 60fps for 80% of players, with load times under 3 seconds and download size under 25MB.
- Agile, and self-motivated, and working from home, I shipped 16 releases, for 17 SKUs, on Windows Store, Amazon Store, Google Play Store, Apple App Store and Facebook.
- Built a test server, integrated a test framework and authored a suite of cucumber scripts that tested multiple SKUs across multiple android devices.
- Implemented build system and build server with cmake and python that builds code, content and packages for 40 machines, 23 lobbies, on 3 operating systems for all supported platforms. The build system distributes gauntlet, continuous integration, QA and production builds across multiple machines and includes scripts for deploying a complete, standardized development setup with developer dependencies and buildable enlistment.
- Evaluated and integrated third-party libraries including AdColony, Adjust, AppLovin, Crittercism, Fuse SDK, Fyber SDK, HockeyApp SDK, Playphone, Skillz eSports, SDK Steamworks and Supersonic.
- Investigated the latest APIs for applicability to future clients, building prototypes to showcase technologies including Blue-tooth and NFC networking, speech recognition, face recognition with expression determination and Google TV Search.
Principal Software Engineer Zynga • 1/2014 – 1/2015
- Contracted to join a small team to utilize and extend Cocos2dx with emscripten to port Duck Dynasty Slots and Wizard of Oz Slots from mobile to browser, while keeping feature parity and allowing cross-platform play, development and live updates.
- Analyzed GPU, CPU, memory and content size on Android and iOS to improve performance and decrease download size for Looney Tunes Dash!
- Worked on unannounced features and platforms for Dawn of Titans
Principal Software Engineer Zynga • 12/2012 – 1/2014
- Hired to work on Puzzle Charms for Facebook and bring the title to iOS and Android. Puzzle Charms is a top 3 title at Zynga exceeding 1.2M DAU.
- Devised and executed a plan for a small team to port the web version to mobile using C/C++ and Cocos2dx. At web launch the mobile version was within a month of having feature parity.
- Worked on features, fixes and performance in the web version to ensure a successful launch and live maintenance.
- Analyzed GPU, CPU, memory and bandwidth performance increasing frame rate on min-spec PC from 4Hz to 60Hz, while increasing performance for 80% of users by 20%. Reduced load times from exceeding a minute to sub-30 second.
- Drove initiatives for better performance, quality, planning and execution across the studio and disciplines; from content pipeline improvements allowing artists to take content from Creative Suite to their development version in under 10 seconds to building a QA automation framework robust to image changes.
Volunteer IT consultant La Curvina Clinica • 11/2012 – 6/2013
- Helping define IT needs, server specifications and machine setup for remote clinics needs.
- Generally providing computer software/hardware support in my spare time.
Lead Gameplay Engineer Booyah • 3/2012 – 11/2012
- Hired to help expand the San Francisco office into Seattle, WA while building the next version of an established IP for iOS and Android.
- Built multiple prototypes over 6 months, on iOS using Cocos2D and internal tech, taking them from concept to first playable and alpha.
- Investigated and reported on cross platform solutions and technologies for mobile and web as part of the cross-platform virtual team reporting to the CTO.
- Created an action plan which reduced load times, memory use and increasing frame rate from the analysis of GPU, CPU, memory and bandwidth performance of My Town 2 and No Zombies Allowed.
Senior Staff Software Engineer Disney Interactive Media Group • 4/2011 – 3/2012
- Hand picked by Disney Interactive Media Group to form a strike team to bring Club Penguin from the browser to iOS devices.
- Developed a proof-of-concept for presentation to C-level executive and product green light meeting. Extended proof-of-concept to solve product technology requirements and set expectations.
- Built a successful team from a mix of individuals, full-time and contract, experience levels and led them on track to deliver ahead of schedule (initial port complete December 2011, 3 months ahead of schedule, first playable March 2012, still 3 months ahead).
- Applied SCRUM, code review, build, source control and other processes as required maintaining a high quality bar with appropriate visibility to all levels.
- Set direction and strategy, supervising and implementing a C/C++ and OpenGL ES solution targeting multiple platforms (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, Kindle and browser).
- Devised and executed transition plan to pivot team and technology onto new internal middle-ware, keeping momentum, motivation and ship date.
Lead Software Engineer Playdom • 1/2010 – 4/2011
- Hired by Playdom to help build a new studio in Redmond, assisting in growing the team, bringing Xbox 360 game experience, practices and technology to Social Games and Flash development.
- Wrote the core engine for an unannounced next generation Social game.
- Collaborated with the Social City team, voted “Best Social Network Game”, on features, fixes and the weekly ship cycle. Worked on all levels of the client and took ownership of performance, memory usage and features of the core engine.
- Developed proof-of-concept next generation technology for Social City and teams across the company.
- Based on my earlier proof-of-concept technology, asked by the VP of Mobile to build the mobile team in Redmond and bring the City of Wonder franchise to mobile devices.
Tools and content pipeline Lead for Primetime Microsoft Game Studios • 3/2009 – 12/2009
- Designed the multi-year, multi-discipline technical strategy for all tools and content pipelines for future titles.
- Helped ship 1vs100 series 1 and 2, providing Xbox 360 an optimized content pipeline and runtime assistance.
- Drove program management for development and test on the engine team, advocating, managing and training in Scrum and Agile process, ran planning and review meetings, retrospectives and working groups.
- Established ownership of the build lab and source control, designing and executing on multi-year, multi-product strategy.
Lead Developer Microsoft ESP Microsoft Game Studios • 12/2007 – 1/2009
- Hired and managed the ESP* v2.0 development team of 7 developers, including junior and senior hires, CSG and remote workers. *Microsoft© ESP™ (www.microsoft.com/esp) is a visual simulation software development platform that brings immersive games-based technology to training for commercial, government and education organizations.
- Wrote the high level design and specifications for product and studio-wide features including SimStage (level editor), synchronous SimConnect (scripting) and multi-channel display.
- Jointly responsible for ESP v2.0 product planning, feature planning, scheduling which included customer scenarios and interaction.
- Delivered 6 alpha releases of ESP v2.0.
- Helped review specifications for products and studio-wide features distilling information from 30+ documents per milestone for ESP management and development team.
- Helped advocate and execute on studio-wide initiatives for program management and process, engineering excellence and quality.
- Helped design, review and drive studio-wide architectural and technical solutions, discussions and thinking.
- Helped drive sharing and shared technology within MGS, participated in the MGS Content Pipeline working group, attended MGS Developer day and looked for opportunities to consume and share technology from TNT, R1, working groups and product groups (Forza Motorsport car simulation).
Software Development Engineer Manager Microsoft Game Studios • 1/2006 – 12/2007
- Built and managed a core technology team of 7 developers to work in partnership with the Research and Development team at Rare.
- Provided core technology and tools (rendering, collision, animation, content pipeline, art plugins), technical documentation, support and programming assistance on Forza Motorsport 2, Hexic 2, Train Simulator 2 and unannounced titles.
- Drove the end-user experience and productization of core technology, tools and content pipeline.
- Delivered 17 releases of the SDK, across two continents, to 6+ products team.
Head of Software Research and Development Rare Ltd • 8/1999 – 1/2006
- Built and managed a core technology team of 22 developers, hiring and training all new developers to Rare and directing Rare’s intern program
- Designed, developed and managed the development of a multi-platform (Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PC) game engine and content pipeline.
- Provided core technology, tools and content pipeline for multiple product teams and prototyping teams at Rare and across all MGS including Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, Forza Motorsport 2 and Primetime 1 vs 100.
- Demonstrated product to all levels from company-wide open days to manager, director, GM and CEO level.
Programmer Rare Ltd • 3/1997 – 8/1999
- Senior Programmer, Star Fox Adventures (N64/Gamecube).
- Programmer, Diddy Kong Racing (N64).
- Also worked on shared technology, audio and development systems used in all titles.
Programmer Europress • 1992 – 3/1997
- Mini Office Amiga Spreadsheet.
- Klik & Play.
- Click and Create.
- Fun School 6 Fairyland (ages 4-7).
- Fun School 6 Magicland (ages 6-9).
- Fun School 6 Futureland (ages 8-11).
- The Gingerbread man.
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
- Topsy + Tim.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
Education B.Sc. (Hons), Computing Science; Industrial • 1990 – 1994
- Dart: Up and Running
- WordPress: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
- WebGL Programming Guide: Interactive 3D Graphics Programming with WebGL (OpenGL)
- Theory of Fun for Game Design
- Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
- Using Drupal
- CSS: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide
- HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide (Definitive Guides)
- Learning jQuery 1.3
- jQuery UI
- jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers (Animal Guide)
- Building Web Reputation Systems
- Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System (Platform Studies)
- XMPP: The Definitive Guide: Building Real-Time Applications with Jabber Technologies
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses